Whirlwind Week

I woke up this past Sunday and I did not feel well.  I didn’t have much of an appetite but we got up and went to church and things seemed normal.  I was grumpier than usual due to being sleepy or so I thought, so Michael and I laid down to take a nap when we got home.  We slept for two hours and when I woke up I still wasn’t hungry but knew that I needed to eat something.  I tried to eat some chilli and french fries but I couldn’t stomach very much of it and that’s when I started to projectile vomit.  I had spoken to my dr.’s office a few days before and they told me to call immediately if I experienced a number of symptoms: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, headache, shortness of breath and/or any cramping.  Mm had me phone the doctor on call, who told me to head straight over to labor and delivery.  My doctor had mentioned preeclampcia at my last checkup because my poor calves and ankles have been swollen like hamhocks for some time and the aforementioned symptoms are linked with preeclampcia. 
I spent Sunday night and all day Monday laying in a hospital bed being pumped full of fluids and phenergan.  It was terrible.  I’ve never thrown up all over myself before but it happened a couple of times and all while I was sitting in bed.  Baby Who’s heart rate was elevated but he was okay throughout all of this.  The nurses checked him about every two-three hours and his little heartbeat was strong.  Thank God for this.  I was so dopey that I could barely speak and Michael had to interpret what he refers to as my sleepy language to the nurse.  I love that he and I are close enough that understands my gibberish.  
My back has been troubling me for over a week and I the only way I was able to get comfortable in the hospital was to sit on my knees and rest my head on a stack of pillows in front of me.  Unbeknownst to me, the doctor had been expecting me to take the percocet that she ordered to help relieve some of this pressure in my back and scolded me when she found out that I hadn’t.  I know that I’m unreasonably stubborn about not taking medicine but no one told me that I was supposed to take it.  The doctor thought that I had a blockage in one of my kidneys and that this was causing the pain in my back so she sent me to have an ultrasound done on my bladder and kidneys.  No blockage but I still may have a kidney stone. 

SIDE STORY  –> While waiting to be picked up from triage a lady was brought in beside me who was around 100 years old.  I’m not joking.  Well she had a mask on when she arrived but decided at some point that she wasn’t going to wear it anymore and threw it on the floor.  As I sat in the mini-room beside her I couldn’t help but notice her hacking cough.  She coughed so violently that she kept pulling her oxygen out and it sounded nasty.  I know that the nurses must have seen the bulging of my eyeballs because they went over to her and read her chart and returned to the nurses station to call someone.  When I heard them say MRSA over the phone and then tell Mrs. so and so not to remove her mask because she could spread her illness to others, I started to get uncomfortable.  Well Mrs. 100 year old so and so declares that someone gave her what she got and that . . . a transporter immediately arrived to wheel her away in her stretcher.  Let me tell you that I started to freak.  All the ladies in my family are nurses and I know what MRSA is and what it can do to you.  I looked up at the nurse in front of me and said, “You know, I’m just pregnant and I can walk over to the elevator”.  I guess all the anxiety of the day and being in the hospital where germs are rampant had finally gotten to me.  I was sicked and about to stroke out at the thought of being taken down by a MRSA bug.  

I am feeling remarkably better and my appetite has returned so please no worries.  I have a dr.’s appointment tomorrow morning to check my glucose and follow-up with the back pain so I hope that all goes well.  Sorry for disappearing from the blogosphere for a bit.  I’ll have Michael take a photo of me today since I am now 28 weeks and weighing in a whopping 15 pounds heavier than when we began this journey. 



About Beth

I'm a woman striving to follow Jesus. I live in Louisville, KY with my handsome Michael and I am very thankful for the life that I have.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Whirlwind Week

  1. Laura says:

    Oh Beth!! :( I’m so sorry you were so sick, and I’m so thankful that Mm is taking care of you! Hope to hear a good report tomorrow-I can’t believe you are already 28 weeks!! Yes, I want to see your belly! :)

  2. tera says:

    Oh Beth, I am so sorry you had to go through this! Praise God that you are okay and you have a wonderful husband loving you so well. I had to go to labor and delivery at about 27 weeks with Ruby and I know how incredibly scarey it can be….not to mention the fact that you had some sick lady hacking all over you! Glad you are well and praying that you stay well and deliver safely and on time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s